Francesco Abbruzzino is the sole poster on The Scoop News, it is truly a one man operation. I operate this site with a fresh perspective on news, opinions, and local unvetted scoop. If you have any scoop send it to him at firstname.lastname@example.org and yes, you can be anonymous.
Lido Beach shoreline protection project receives final state approval | City of Sarasota
City of Sarasota Press Release
sarasota, FL: Following 18 months of litigation, the state granted final approval for a coastal permit Monday that clears the way for the much-needed joint federal-local Lido Beach shoreline restoration and protection project.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s final order adopted the recent recommendations of Administrative Law Judge Bram Canter and granted the joint coastal permitnecessary to begin long-term protection of the Lido Beach shoreline.
“After losing approximately 15 feet of shoreline during Hurricane Irma and the deceptively destructive Subtropical Storm Alberto last month, this is uplifting news,” said City Manager Tom Barwin. “In addition to the City’s infrastructure being increasingly vulnerable to saltwater intrusion, we are now experiencing high risks of property damage and business interruption.”
The state’s final order confirms two modifications to the original permit: It restricts dredging in two locations from April through September to safeguard seatrout spawning and allows the recycling of up to 1.3 million cubic yards of sand from the Big Pass area back to Lido Beach. The original permit authorized up to 1.7 million cubic yards.
An agreement between the City of Sarasota and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be executed soon. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will oversee the dredging portion of the project while the City will be responsible for monitoring it.
The final order follows an 18-month-long lawsuit filed by Siesta Key petitioners against the City of Sarasota, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Department of Environmental Protection and Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund.
“I again urge the handful of people litigating this matter to forego additional litigation and work with us to become environmental and shoreline protection leaders in the state of Florida. I remind all this permit requires unprecedented monitoring and future adjustments as warranted. Significant resources — $2.5 million – also have been set aside to address any unforeseen effects. While we do not expect to use those funds, it serves as an insurance policy of sorts. It’s time residents, boaters and businesses all work together on this challenge and opportunity,” said Barwin.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers last week announced it had allocated about $13.4 million in funding toward the approximately $22 million renourishment project. Subject to any future litigation delaying this critical project, work is expected to begin by Spring 2019 and be completed by next hurricane season.
In December 2016, the DEP granted a joint coastal permit to the City of Sarasota and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The permit is for a duration of 15 years with three options to renew.
Don’t let Twitter and Facebook control or decide what shows up in your news feed. You can do this by just joining my The Scoop News group and turn on your notifications. You will never miss The Scoop, just click here and join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/veniceflorida/?ref=bookmarks