Francesco Abbruzzino is the sole poster on The Scoop News, it is truly a one man operation. I operate this site with a fresh perspective on news, opinions, and local unvetted scoop. If you have any scoop send it to him at firstname.lastname@example.org and yes, you can be anonymous.
Traffic Watch Report for Sarasota County – Sarasota Manatee MPO
MPO PRESS RELEASE FOR WEEK OF JULY 15, 2018
Motorists are reminded to wear safety belts and drive with caution, courtesy, common sense, and patience as they travel through work zones. Remember, speeding fines are doubled in work zones.
As a reminder, travelers can visit www.FL511.com or dial “511” from their phone to learn about traffic conditions on major roadways across the state. If you know before you go, you can plan accordingly and save time and money.
Laurel Road at the Legacy Trail Crossing: Construction project: Crews are constructing a pedestrian bridge along the Legacy Trail over Laurel Road. Please be aware of construction vehicles entering and leaving the construction zone. Both northbound and southbound trail traffic are now being detoured to the west along the signed detour route. Both sidewalks on the north and south side of Laurel Road are now closed. Please follow detour signs provided. Intermittent single lane closures at the bridge can be expected from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays only. Denson Construction, Inc. is the contractor for the bridge. Expected completion is fall 2018.
US 41 from SR 789 to Ritz Carlton Drive and sidewalk located along the north side of SR 789 from Sunset Drive to US 41: Maintenance permit project: The sidewalk will remain closed until construction of the development located at the corner of US 41 and SR 789 is complete. Pedestrians should follow the established detour.
US 41 from Browning Street to 11th Street: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway; installing new drainage; installing highway lighting, curb and gutter; constructing new sidewalk, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on US 41; US 301; Fruitville Road, and Orange Avenue while crews are working. Preferred Materials, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2018.
US 41 from Salford Boulevard to Sumter Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Salford Boulevard to Sumter Boulevard to a six-lane highway; resurfacing the roadway; improving drainage; constructing sidewalk, and installing highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. when crews are resurfacing the roadway. Expect periodic driveway closures along the northbound lanes while crews are installing drainage systems. Russell Engineering, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2019.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Temporary single lane closures may occur between 9th Street and 15th Street from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. if nighttime activities are scheduled.
- 13th Street at US 41 is closed for through traffic, residents and businesses can still access 13th Street from Cocoanut Avenue. Please follow detour signs.
- 12th Street is expected to be closed to through traffic at US 41 mid next week. Residents and businesses on 12th Street will be able to access from Cocoanut Avenue. Detour signs will be posted.
- Traffic has been reconfigured into a new pattern on 10th Street east bound and west bound. Please pay close attention to the pavement markings and signs.
- Waterline installation is expected on US 41 north of 14th Street. This operation is expected to take place during daytime hours. Expect to hear construction noise associated with the machinery, jack hammers, construction equipment, back up alarms and engine noises.
- Installation of waterline across US 41 at 10th Street is expected to start this week and expected to last until mid-August. This waterline will be installed via directional bore. Expect noise from drilling rigs, heavy equipment, loaders, pumps and vacuum trucks. All work is expected during the day time. The contractor’s work zone for this operation will be in the median of 10th Street east of US 41. Motorists are urged to use caution and be mindful of the workers and the heavy equipment moving in and out of this area.
- Installation of storm water pipes is expected south of Hog creek on the west side. There may be intermittent impacts to the boat ramp driveways but access to the boat ramps will always be maintained. Expect noise from equipment, pumps and power tools. This operation is expected during the day, but the pumps will be running 24/7.
- Centennial Park Boat Ramp driveway on 10th Street will be closed. Motorists can access the boat ramp via the US 41 entrance. Northbound left turn lane from US 41 into the boat ramp is available.
- Pedestrian paths have been reconfigured around the work zone, please use designated sidewalks and cross walks. No pedestrian access on the west side of US 41 beyond Centennial Park, pedestrians are advised to use the sidewalk on the east side of US 41. Impacts to pedestrian access south of the Centennial Park on the west side of US 41 is expected while the contractor is performing excavation in the area.
- Storm water piping systems and light pole bases will be installed at the NE corner of 14th Street. Expect to hear diesel pumps running and heavy equipment and back up alarms. This work is expected during the day.
- Box culvert construction has started. This is an active construction zone and for safety purposes only authorized personnel are allowed inside the work zone.
- Grading in preparation for placement of asphalt and sidewalk at the northeast corner of 14th Street. Activity delayed due to rains. Expect equipment noise, backup alarms and dust during the operation.
- The traffic pattern access will be limited to right turn in/out for 11th, 12th and 13th Street. Traveling southbound and northbound direction left turns are not permitted at 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Streets. Motorists are advised to follow the posted signs.
- Temporary detour route in effect. Use Cocoanut Avenue as alternate route to access 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Street. Motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route and seek an alternate route while traveling in this area.
- Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED street lights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is spring 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from Hospital Road to River Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing new turn-lanes, driveway connections, and working in the medians. Expect intermittent north and southbound daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Friday, July 27. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 758/Bee Ridge Road from Bond Place to Cattleman Road: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway, constructing sidewalk, improving drainage, and upgrading traffic signals and highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight single-lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is late fall 2018.
SR 72 at Gateway Road: Construction project: This project is to replacing existing crosswalks, crosswalk landings, pedestrian signals, and lighting. This week, crews will work on This week, crews will be working on the maintenance of traffic, and installing electric lines underneath the roadway.
- Drivers should anticipate lane closures; however, lane closures will be prohibited during peak hours from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Drivers should use caution while traveling in the work zone. Estimated completion is summer 2018, weather permitting. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor.
SR 72 at the Stickney Point Drawbridge: Bridge maintenance project: Crews are working on the bridge. Expect nighttime/overnight east and westbound intermittent right lane closures from 9 p.m. each night to 5 a.m. each morning Monday, July 23 through Thursday, July 26 and again Sunday, July 29 through Thursday, August 2. Use caution and expect possible delays.
Don’t let Twitter and Facebook control or decide what shows up in your news feed. You can do this by just joining my The Scoop News group and turn on your notifications. You will never miss The Scoop, just click here and join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/veniceflorida/?ref=bookmarks