Francesco Abbruzzino is the sole poster on The Scoop News, it is truely a one man operation. He operates this site offers a fresh perspective on news, opinions, and local unvetted scoop. If you have any scoop send it to him at firstname.lastname@example.org and yes, you can be anonymous.
Traffic Watch Report for Sarasota County – Sarasota Manatee MPO
Laurel Road at the Legacy Trail Crossing: Construction project: Crews are constructing a pedestrian bridge along the Legacy Trail over Laurel Road. Please be aware of construction vehicles entering and leaving the construction zone. Both northbound and southbound trail traffic are now being detoured to the west along the signed detour route. Both sidewalks on the north and south side of Laurel Road are now closed. Please follow detour signs provided. Laurel Road will be closed at the bridge with traffic detours in place the night of Thursday, June 7 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured along Albee Farm Road and Forest Street to US 41. Denson Construction, Inc. is the contractor for the bridge. Expected completion is fall 2018.
US 41 from SR 789 to Ritz Carlton Drive and sidewalk located along the north side of SR 789 from Sunset Drive to US 41: Maintenance permit project: The sidewalk will remain closed until construction of the development located at the corner of US 41 and SR 789 is complete. Pedestrians should follow the established detour.
US 41 from Browning Street to 11th Street: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway; installing new drainage; installing highway lighting, curb and gutter; constructing new sidewalk, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on US 41; US 301; Fruitville Road, and Orange Avenue while crews are working. Crews are constructing a new right turn-lane from northbound US 41 to Fruitville Road. Once constructed, the existing right turn-lane will be closed to traffic. Crews will then construct a pedestrian island and improve drainage. The outside northbound lane of US 41 at Fruitville Road is closed to traffic for approximately two weeks. Motorists wishing to turn right onto Fruitville Road will do so from the middle lane, which will also serve as a northbound thru lane. The inside lane will remain a dedicated thru lane. Nighttime/overnight northbound outside lane closures are also expected from 9 p.m. each night to 6 a.m. each morning while crews are working. Preferred Materials, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2018.
US 41 from Salford Boulevard to Sumter Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are widening US 41 from Salford Boulevard to Sumter Boulevard to a six-lane highway; resurfacing the roadway; improving drainage; constructing sidewalk, and installing highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. when crews are resurfacing the roadway. Expect periodic driveway closures along the northbound lanes while crews are installing drainage systems. Russell Engineering, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2019.
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction project: Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Temporary single lane closures may occur between 9th Street and 15th Street from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. if nighttime activities are scheduled.
- City of Sarasota crews are expected to replace a broken valve on a reclaimed water line at US 41 and Imperial Drive, Wednesday night/overnight. Work is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. and expected to last until 6 a.m. Expect noise from backup alarms, generators, concrete saws and lights. Traffic going in and out of Imperial Drive will be reduced to 1 lane with flag men directing the traffic.
- Installation of waterline across US 41 at 11th Street has started. 11th Street at US 41 will be closed to all traffic. Access to 11th Street will be provided from Cocoanut Avenue. Motorist and pedestrians are advised to follow posted detour signs. Expect heavy equipment and noise from compressors, generators and heavy equipment including back up alarms in the area. This work is expected to take place during the daytime hours.
- Centennial Park Boat Ramp driveway on 10th Street will be closed. Motorists can access the boat ramp via the US 41 entrance. Northbound left turn lane from US 41 into the boat ramp is available.
- Pedestrian paths have been reconfigured around the work zone, please use designated sidewalks and cross walks. No pedestrian access on the west side of US 41 beyond Centennial Park, pedestrians are advised to use the sidewalk on the east side of US 41. Impacts to pedestrian access south of the Centennial Park on the west side of US 41 is expected while the contractor is performing excavation in the area.
- Stormwater piping systems will continue to be installed from 10th Street to 11th Street west of US 41. Dewatering pumps will be running 24/7. Expect to hear diesel pumps running 24/7, workers driving to the pumps to refuel and maintain them.
- Stormwater pipe installation and box culvert extension activities will take place at Hog Creek/11th Street. Expect to see dust and several large pieces of equipment to dig, move dirt about and install pipe. Expect to hear construction noise associated with the machinery, such as back up alarms and engine noises.
- Box culvert demolition may start beginning of next week. Expect equipment noise, backup alarms and dust during the operation.
- Demolition of box culvert and removal of old signal poles and foundation on west side of project will occur during daytime hours. Expect noises like banging and clanging and jackhammering during demolition of box culvert.
- Trenching and installation of drainage pipe/water lines between 13th Street and at 11th Street, during daytime hours. Expect equipment noise and backup alarms during the operation at these locations in addition to the contractor’s storage yard at 14th Street while equipment and trucks load and offload material. Please be aware of heavy equipment and construction vehicles when travelling in the area.
- Grading in preparation for placement of asphalt and sidewalk at the northeast corner of 14th Street. Expect equipment noise, backup alarms and dust during the operation.
- The traffic pattern access will be limited to right turn in/out for 11th, 12th and 13th Street. Traveling southbound and northbound direction left turns are not permitted at 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Streets. Motorists are advised to follow the posted signs.
- Temporary detour route in effect. Use Cocoanut Avenue as alternate route to access 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th Street. Motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route and seek an alternate route while traveling in this area.
- Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED street lights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is spring 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
US 41 from Hospital Road to River Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing new turn-lanes, driveway connections, and working in the medians. Expect intermittent north and southbound daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Friday, June 1. Use caution and expect possible delays.
US 41/Tamiami Trail at Clematis Street: Construction project: This project is to repair drainage pipe under US 41. This week, crews will work on repairing the drainage pipe.
- Drivers should note that Clematis Street will be closed on the west side of US 41/Tamiami Trail during the overnight hours of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Motorists may use Wisteria Street of Datura Street to access Clematis Street from S. Osprey Avenue.
Variable message signs will be in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Drivers should use caution while traveling in the work zone. Estimated completion is June 30, 2018, weather permitting. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor.
SR 758/Bee Ridge Road from Bond Place to Cattleman Road: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway, constructing sidewalk, improving drainage, and upgrading traffic signals and highway lighting. Expect nighttime/overnight single-lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida is the contractor. Expected completion is late fall 2018.
Don’t let Twitter and Facebook control or decide what shows up in your news feed. You can do this by just joining my The Scoop News group and turn on your notifications. You will never miss The Scoop, just click here and join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/veniceflorida/?ref=bookmarks