This site is own and operated by Francesco Abbruzzzino. No other person post’s on here. If you have not yet, like my two Facebook pages:
The Uncensored Report – National & International News
The Scoop News – Local Sarasota County news
Venice: Controversy regarding creating a Venice Fire Department Advisory Group, ending in a big NO to consolidating with the county
Whoops! The Venice City Council failed to create a Venice Fire Department Advisory Group.
Then they realized it failed, they voted again to have it approved.
They are discussing it now. Right now they are talking about Holic’s desire to have the fire merge with the county, as part of the group discussion.
- Daniels does not want consolidation w the county to be a part of the discussion. He is going through a list of reasons why. One is the fact that the pension debt will remain w the city. States citizens would pay more taxes to keep public safety. Merging w the county will mean that all citizens will have to pay a fire fee or tax increase to the county. County will not pay for Fire Station 1’s rat issue and numerous maintenance issues. Why would we turn over all the buildings, equipment, give the county 4.0 million, and keep the pension debt? It was a prepared speech, with a lot more than I have put here.
- Caturo. Says issue of consolidation has been discussed for years and has gone nowhere. Maybe we need to move on and not involve consolidation.
- Gates. Not for separation of fire and ems. She is torn. She uses that line a lot.
- McKeon. Not for resolution.
- Fraize. Supports not having consolidation as a part of the conversation, with the new group.
- Holic. He is pleading his case about consolidation. He says now he does not care about it, which seems strange and conflicts with his news interviews……………. I mean he is the one that asked to have this subject on the agenda.
- Amendment. Wants the groups focus to be on a unified fire department and the consolidation should include bringing EMS into the fire department.
- Wants one chief for all fire houses. If ruling out county consolidation, lets talk about merging ems in w the city of Venice.
- Tired of county getting all the revenue for the EMS operations
- Daniels can’t support this amendment. EMS is fine. Thinks Mayor is complicating the matter by bringing more into the equation.
- VFD Chief is for bringing EMS into the cities control
- Gates. Is receptive to what is best for the community. Maybe we need to consider the EMS option. States does not want the community to think Venice is not safe because of what some stories the press has put out there.
- Anderson. Does not disagree w this, she just needs more information. EMS may complicate the VFD’s primary job and concern w the complexity of consolidating. Questions using a stake holders group for this type of decision. Will vote against this amendment.
- Caturo. Does not want to add another level of complexity to the issue.
- Holic still supports this move. Thinks there is enough data to show this is something that needs to be considered.
- Daniels slams the county and the inability to work with them, which extends beyond changing out the county administrator.
Final decision: As of 12: 30 they broke for lunch. They are still ironing on the specifics of the new Venice Fire Advisory Group. However, they will not be looking at consolidation with the county. I lost electric during the vote, but I think they agreed to hold of looking at merging EMS in with the city.
This article was chosen for republication based on the interest of our readers. The Uncensored Report (Scoop News) republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources. The views expressed in this article may or may not reflect my editorial policy. Francesco Abbruzzino